- Publisher: American Library Association
- Edition: 2nd ed.
- ISBN: 978-0-8389-1892-0
- Published: June 13, 2019
School Library Collection Development
My newest book is for school librarians. See the description at the American Library Association Bookstore.
My life’s mission is to encourage reading for pleasure and to improve the quality of materials in school libraries. In this second edition, I help school librarians with the essential steps to effectively manage a vibrant school library collection and ensure that learners actively engage with the materials. Supported by the National School Library Standards and ALA/AASL/CAEP standards for university preparation programs, this resource introduces the key components that influence collection development today, including
- policies, practices, and selection sources to evaluate, weed, and build dynamic and diverse school library collections;
- methods and examples for analyzing collection, curriculum, and community needs;
- strategies for showcasing the school library collection to learners and stakeholders; and
- charts, checklists, worksheets, discussion questions, and tips from practicing school librarians.
By focusing on the basics, readers can begin to reflect on and customize plans for action. A time saver for the busy school librarian, this collection development digest is the tool you need to ensure success.
Librarians, please see ALA’s Web Extra for chapter worksheets, a one-paged CREW guide, and more.
Read the Mona Kerby interview.
- “The second edition of a classic . . . this step-by-step guide is an excellent resource both for those new to the profession and for busy veterans.” Booklist 9-27-29.
- I highly recommend Mona Kerby’s thoughtful and practical introduction to collection development to all. School Librarian Leadership Review. Posted on January 20, 2020 by Judi Moreillon.